November 6-10, 2023
Hands-on experience with state- of-the-art silicon pixel detectors
Jochen Klein (CERN)
Magnus Mager (CERN)
Henner Büsching (HGS-HIRe)
- principles of particle detection with semi-conductors
- energy loss and deposit
- charge mobility and collection
- multiple scattering
- type of front-end electronics
- variants of silicon particle detectors
- hybrid sensors
- monolithic CMOS sensors
- examples of recent applications at LHC
- focus on Monolithic Active Pixel Sensors (MAPS)
- readout concepts for silicon sensors
- assembly of a MAPS-based telescope for cosmic ray measurements
- using detector modules of the ALICE Inner Tracking System (as currently in use at LHC)
- data acquisition
- low-level communication with sensors, implementation of readout software
- characterisation of sensors
- noise floor
- threshold dispersions
- clustering (shape analysis)
- efficiency measurements
- basic knowledge of particle detectors
- interest in silicon sensors
- basic knowledge of C(++) and python
What to bring
Please bring your own laptop.
Registration is done via email to email@example.com.
The scientific program of the power week starts with the first lecture on Monday, November 6, at 11:00.
Please arrive well in time, preferably not later that 10:30. The power week will close on Friday afternoon
If you will arrive late please contact the coordinator in advance.
The power week will be held at Castle Rauischholzhausen,Schloßpark 1, 35085 Ebsdorfergrund.
Directions can be found here
Please arrange for individual travel to the location. You can reach the venue by public transport (bus),
otherwise please try to travel by car pool. If somebody want to offer a lift, please contact the other
participants of the power week via the communicated mailing list.
Accomodation is mostly in twin bed rooms.
Special food requirements (vegetarian, other) should be communicated to the coordinator in advance.
Full board is included in the power week.
What to bring additionally
The power week will be very informal, so only casual attire is necessary.
All rooms have linen and towels, no need to bring them.
Shower gel, shampoo and hair dryers are not provided.
Wireless internet access is available. Please don't forget to bring your own laptop!
All basic expenses are covered by HGS-HIRe.
You only have to pay for local expenses (drinks in the evening etc.). All meals are included.
Though this trip will not generate any costs for your supervisor or group please
do not forget to file a trip request so you are covered by insurance during the
power week. Please ask the secretary of your official supervisor at the university
for the appropriate form.
Participants (max. 16)
For privacy reasons we cannot display the list of participants here.