January 24 - 31, 2010
- Talk: Huber; Partner: Basler
Pion pion scattering in the linear Sigma model with and without explicit
symmetry breaking (pion mass)
- Talk: Kalweit; Partner: Müller
Pion pion scattering in the NONLINEAR sigmna modeland in chiral
perturbation theory with and without explicit symmetry breaking (pion mass)
- Talk: Pitz; Partner: Rau
Derive the Goldstone theorem and discuss some applications, e.g.
- Talk: Leon Vargas; Partner: Zhang
Derive/ motivate the leading temperature and density dependence of the
- Talk: Nahrgang; Partner: Fasel
How to measure electrons in CERES ? (detector technologies/analysis strategy)
- Talk: Steinheimer; Partner: Bjerrum-Bohr
How to measure electrons in PHENIX ? (detector technologies/analysis strategy)
- Talk: Stiele; Partner: Danilkin
How to measure muons in CERES ? (detector technologies/analysis strategy)
- Talk: Herold; Partner: Seddiki
How to measure muons in PHENIX ? (detector technologies/analysis strategy)
Checkin at the Chalet is open at 16:00 on Sunday.
The scientific part of the lecture week will close on Friday evening.
If you will arrive late or on you own please contact the coordinator in advance so key pick up can be arranged.
The lecture week will be at Chalet l'Eridan, 74230 Manigod (France).
Manigod is situated at an altitude of 950 m in the french alpes, south-east of Thones, roughly 20 km east of Annecy.
If you travel on your own directions can be found here
We travel by chartered bus to Manigod. Details including schedule and departure points will be announced.
Accomodation is mostly in twin bed rooms.
The chalet does not have official catering.
We will self organize breakfast and lunch. Bread will be delivered every morning. Grocery shopping
will be organized and help from the participants is expected for and after the meals.
Without formal lunch we are more flexible with outdoor activities. We will have full dinner
prepared for us by M. Jean Christophe Pergod.
Special food requirements (vegetarian, other) will be arranged on the first evening.
Full board is included in the lecture week.
What to bring
Conditions for winter sports are hopefully very good both for cross country as well as for alpine skiing. Please plan accordingly.
The lecture week will be very informal, so only casual attire necessary.
Please plan for severe weather and winter outdoor activities.
You need to bring your own towels (!)
Bring your skis, sled, snowboard and red carrot for the snowman
The chalet has a sauna. If you are interested to use it you need to bring your own sauna towels.
A WLAN access point is available.
Each participant will contribute in a presentation. Subjects will be given in due time
before the lecturer week. They will be arranged by the lecturers. The presentation will
not be on the own scientific work of the participant but will be connected to the topic
of the lecture week. A laptop and projector will be available.
In addition flip charts can be used. Presentation time is 30 minutes including discussion.
All basic expenses are covered by HGS-HIRe.
You only have to pay for local expenses (drinks,etc.). All meals are included.
Though this trip will not generate any costs for your supervisor or group please
do not forget to file a trip request so you are covered by insurance during the
All outdoor sports activities are completely under the participants own responsibility.
HGS-HIRe does not cover any costs or takes responsibilities for injuries or damage related
to these activities. A waiver needs to be signed by every participant to agree with these
conditions at the beginning of the lecture week.
- Tian Zhang
- Marlene Nahrgang
- Sebastian Huber
- Rainer Stiele
- Christoph Herold
- Alexander Kalweit
- Hermes León Vargas
- Markus Fasel
- Nora Pitz
- Philip Rau
- Hannes Basler
- Jan Steinheimer
- Daniel Müller
- Johan Jannik Bjerrum-Bohr
- Igor Danilkin
- Selim Seddiki
- Claudia Behnke
- Martin Sprenger
- Thorsten Dahms
- Tatyana Galatyuk
- Volker Koch
- Henner Büsching
More general literature. This is sufficient for topics 1, 2 and 3. It also gets people started in 4.
1)V. Koch, Aspects of chiral symmetry, Int.J.Mod.Phys.E6:203-250,1997.
e-Print: nucl-th/9706075; contains many relevant references
2) H. Georgi, "Weak interaction and modern particle physics",
3) General textbooks such as Itzykson Zuber and Peskin and Schroeder
4) Donoghue, Golowich and Holstein, Dynamics of the standart model
Cambridge momographs on particle physics, 1992
5) J.J. Sakuari, "Currents and fields"
6) D.K. Campbell "Chiral symmetry, pions and nuclei", in "Nuclear Physics with
Heavy Ions and Mesons", Vo, 2, (Les Houches Lectures XXX, 1977), Noth Holland
7) H. leutwyler, "Principles of chiral perturbation theory" hep-ph/9406283
Specific Literature for topic 4
Drukarev: The QCD Sum Rules And Nuclear Matter. 2.
Cohen: Quark And Gluon Condensates In Nuclear Matter
- Detector Basics
- Particle Data Group: Review of Particle Physics,
J. Phys. G 33 (2006) 1
in particular, see:
- Passage of particles through matter, p. 258
- Particle detectors, p. 271
- W.R. Leo: Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiments
- R.K. Bock and A. Vasilescu: The Particle Detector BriefBook
Springer or online at http://rkb.home.cern.ch/rkb/titleD.html
- G. Agakichiev et al.: Eur.Phys.J C41 (2005) 475, nucl-ex/0506002
- D. Adamova et al.: Phys.Rev.Lett 96 (2006) 152301, nucl-ex/0512007
- D. Adamova et al.: nucl-ex/0611022
and references therein
- R. Arnaldi et al.: Phys.Rev.Lett. 96 (2006) 162302, nucl-ex/0605007
- A. Baldit et al.: NA60 proposal CERN/SPSC 2000-010, SPSC-P316
available here: http://node6.ist.utl.pt/www/experiment/spsc/proposal/p.ps.gz>
- K. Banicz et al.: NIM A539 (2005) 21
- R. Shahoyan: NA60 Note 2004-3
available here: http://node6.ist.utl.pt/www/experiment/notes/2004/combin_210604.ps
and references therein
- PHENIX hardware series: NIM A499 (2003) 469-602
for an overview and links see: http://www.phenix.bnl.gov/techpapers.html
- S. Afanasiev et al.: arXiv:-7-6/3034v1 [nucl-ex]
- A. Adare et al.: Phys.Rev.Lett 97 (2006) 252002, hep-ex/0609019
- S.S. Adler et al.: hep-ex/0609032
and references therein